Slain Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi’s son Seif al-Islam will go on trial in September in the town of Zintan where he has been held since last November, the prosecution’s spokesman told AFP on Thursday.
“A committee from the prosecutor general’s office has completed its investigation into the crimes committed by Seif al-Islam from the start of the revolution on February 15 (2011) and has prepared the charge sheet,” spokesman Taha Nasser Baara said.
He said the charge sheet would be “approved by the prosecutor general in the coming days and a date set for the September trial opening.”
The International Criminal Court in The Hague had issued a warrant for Seif’s arrest on charges of crimes against humanity during the conflict which overthrew his father last year but the new Libyan authorities have insisted that he stand trial in his home country.
Qaddafi’s son was captured last year by a militia from the western mountain town of Zintan, where he has been held ever since.
Local spokesman Khaled al-Zintani said Monday a government delegation inspected the town before a decision is made on whether to try him there.
The ICC has expressed concern that Libya is not set up to give the younger Qaddafi a fair trial. During Qaddafi’s four decades of rule, he dismantled most institutions, setting himself up as the sole ruler.
After Qaddafi’s overthrow, capture and killing last year, interim rulers struggled to unite the country, leaving powerful militias and tribes in control of various areas. A newly elected parliament is working on appointing a Cabinet after choosing a president. Among its main tasks is to build a functioning judiciary.
Libya has insisted that it is capable of putting on a proper trial for Seif al-Islam Qaddafi. He has expressed a preference to be extradited to the Hague for trial.