The head of the Syrian consulate in Cuba, Haitham Humaidan, has defected sources told Al Arabiya on Saturday.
The sources, however, didn’t provide Al Arabiya with further details.
A wave of defections have taken place over the last two years of the conflict. Syrian envoys working in various diplomatic missions started walking away from Bashar al- Assad's regime back in 2011 and the peak in defections happened around July 2012.
Here is a list of Syrian diplomats who have defected:
- Mohammad Bassam Imadi, former Ambassador to Sweden. He defected in 2011.
- Nawaf al-Fares, Ambassador to Iraq, he defected on July 2012. He later moved to Qatar, a country that has ardently supported opposition against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime.
- Abdelatif al-Dabbagh, Ambassador to the UAE, defected on July 2012. He moved to Qatar.
- Lamia al-Hariri, niece of Syrian vice president Farouk al-Sharaa, Envoy to Cyprus. She defected on July 2012 and later moved to Qatar. It is unclear whether Al-Sharaa has defected in July last year. His last public appearance was at the funeral of top security officials, who were killed in a bombing on the national security headquarters on July 2012.
- Mohammad Tahseen Faqir, military attaché at the Syrian embassy in Oman defected on July 2012.
- Farouk Taha, Ambassador to Belarus. Fled Belarus in the spring, but did not publicize his defection before late July 2012.
- Khaled al-Ayoubi, Chargé d'affaires at the embassy to the United Kingdom and most senior diplomat in the country after higher officials were expelled defected on July 2012.
- Mohammad Hussam Hafez, Consul at the Syrian embassy in Yerevan, Armenia defected on July 2012.
- Emad al-Ahmar - Syrian Consul in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia defected on September 2012 and left to Egypt.
- Mahmoud Obeid, Syrian diplomatic attaché in Malaysia, defected on September 2012 to Egypt.
- Bashar al-Haj - Syrian diplomatic attaché in Serbia defected on September 2012.
Al Arabiya has tracked defections of political figures in the Syrian regime, please click link