MIDDLE EAST

Syria opposition says no peace talks until Hezbollah, Iran halt ‘invasion’

President of the Syrian National Council (SNC) George Sabra (C) talks with other Syrian opposition members during a break at the Syrian opposition meeting in Istanbul, on May 25, 2013. (File Photo: AFP)

Syria's main opposition group said Thursday it will not take part in proposed U.S.-Russia peace talks while key allies of President Bashar al-Assad's regime are waging war alongside government forces.

“The National Coalition will not take part in any international conference or any such efforts so long as the militias of Iran and Hezbollah continue their invasion of Syria,” the opposition's acting chief George Sabra told reporters in Istanbul.

It has taken the divided opposition meeting in Istanbul a week to find common ground on the so-called Geneva 2 peace conference proposed by Moscow and Washington.

The Syrian National Coalition (SNC) has previously said it was open in principle to any peace initiatives.

Sabra's comments follow Syrian army advances in areas where the Lebanese militia group Hezbollah has joined troops loyal to Assad.

“In light of this savagery, any talk of an international conference or a political solution in Syria is just meaningless chatter,” he said.

His statement came hours after the Coalition launched an urgent appeal to rescue 1,000 wounded civilians from the town of Qusayr in central Syria.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Thursday, 30 May 2013 KSA 15:37 - GMT 12:37
Top
BREAKING NEWS

Send to a friend

Close
Syria opposition says no peace talks until Hezbollah, Iran halt ‘invasion’
Friend's name:
Friend's Email:
Sender's name:
Sender's Email:
Captcha Code
How are we doing?
X

How are we doing?

Name Name *
Email Email *
Country Country
Message Message *
Maximum 550 words allowed