Yemen’s government apologized Wednesday to southern secessionists over a war launched against them by the previous president, in hopes of bringing them back to talks about the future of this country on the Arabian peninsula.
The government’s statement, read on state television, said that it was apologizing on behalf of the previous Yemeni leadership to those affected by the 1994 civil war in the south and to Shiite Hawthi rebels in the northern province of Saada. It said the wars and subsequent conflicts led to extensive damages and “historical and moral mistakes.”
Southerners joined a unified Yemen in 1990, but many protesters are again demanding independence. A 1994 attempt by the south to regain independence was crushed in a three-month civil war.
The southern movement had demanded an apology for the short-lived war that killed thousands under President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who was pushed out of power last year after mass uprisings against him.
The apology comes just days after secessionists had pulled out of national reconciliation talks aimed at mapping out the future of the country.
Ali Hassan Zaki, the head of the southern movement, told The Associated Press that the apology was not what he and others had expected it to be.
“What was agreed on in the national reconciliation talks is that a formal apology to the south is made by the political parties that took part in the ‘94 war,” he said.
The government’s statement said its apology was made on behalf of those parties.
Tensions are rising and threaten to further destabilize Yemen’s south, a region that al-Qaida has used to set up training camps and launch operations against security forces.
Threats to foreign interests in Yemen recently prompted embassies to pull their staff out of Yemen.
نستخدم ملفات الكوكيز لنسهل عليك استخدام مواقعنا الإلكترونية ونكيف المحتوى والإعلانات وفقا لمتطلباتك واحتياجاتك الخاصة، لتوفير ميزات وسائل التواصل الاجتماعية ولتحليل حركة المرور لدينا...اعرف أكثر