Seven more people have been charged over deadly bomb attacks in the Lebanese city of Tripoli in which a Syrian security official is also reportedly implicated, a judicial source said Tuesday.
The double bombing killed 45 people on August 23 in the majority Sunni town, which has regularly seen clashes between Sunni supporters of the Syrian uprising and Alawite backers of the Damascus government.
Three of those newly charged are in detention and the other four are at large, the source also told AFP.
The latest charges bring to 11 the number of people accused of involvement in the attacks which targeted Sunni mosques in the northern port city.
Local media said some of those charged were Alawites, members of the same offshoot of Shia Islam as Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
One of the new suspects, Youssef Diab, 19, is from Tripoli’s Alawite district of Jabal Mohsen and was arrested in the area last week.
Two Lebanese and two Syrians were already charged on August 30, while a third Lebanese citizen was released with charges dropped.
The two Syrians, who are not believed to be in Lebanon, have been accused of having placed two car bombs and face the death penalty.
According to Lebanese media, one of the Syrians, Captain Mohammed Ali, is a security official based in Tartus, a Syrian city on the Mediterranean close to Tripoli.
In August last year, security forces arrested former Lebanese information minister Michel Samaha, who is considered close to Damascus.
He is accused of planning attacks in Lebanon along with Syrian security chief General Ali Mamluk and faces the death penalty if convicted.
نستخدم ملفات الكوكيز لنسهل عليك استخدام مواقعنا الإلكترونية ونكيف المحتوى والإعلانات وفقا لمتطلباتك واحتياجاتك الخاصة، لتوفير ميزات وسائل التواصل الاجتماعية ولتحليل حركة المرور لدينا...اعرف أكثر