ISIS is expected to lose its final bits of territory in Syria to US-backed forces within a couple of weeks, acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said on Tuesday, even as US intelligence assessed that the militant group would still pose a threat to the United States.
The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, which have been backed by 2,000 US troops and air support, are preparing for a final showdown with ISIS in eastern Syria after helping drive the fighters from the towns and cities that once formed the group’s self-proclaimed caliphate.
ISIS fighters in eastern Syria are pinned down in a tiny pocket with their wives and children, forcing a US-backed militia to slow its advance to protect civilians, the militia said on Tuesday.
“I’d say 99.5 percent plus of the ISIS-controlled territory has been returned to the Syrians. Within a couple of weeks, it’ll be 100 percent,” Shanahan told reporters at the Pentagon.
Last month, US President Donald Trump declared that ISIS had been defeated and announced the abrupt withdrawal of American troops in Syria, over the objections of top advisers, including Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, who quit in protest.
Critics say a US withdrawal could allow ISIS to regroup, and also unleash a threatened offensive by Turkey against Kurdish elements within the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which Ankara believes is an extension of the PKK militant group waging an insurgency on Turkish soil.
The annual Worldwide Threat Assessment from the Directorate of National Intelligence (DNI), released on Tuesday, contradicted assertions by Trump and other top administration officials that ISIS had been defeated in Syria and Iraq, saying the group still commanded thousands of fighters and posed a long-term threat to both countries.
نستخدم ملفات الكوكيز لنسهل عليك استخدام مواقعنا الإلكترونية ونكيف المحتوى والإعلانات وفقا لمتطلباتك واحتياجاتك الخاصة، لتوفير ميزات وسائل التواصل الاجتماعية ولتحليل حركة المرور لدينا...اعرف أكثر