The discovery by satellite of two objects in the southern Indian Ocean is being treated as a lead in the search for a Malaysian airliner missing for 12 days, Reuters reported the top official in charge of the investigation as saying on Thursday.
“I can confirm we have a new lead...and I am meeting the Australian delegation now,” Reuters quoted acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein as telling reporters in Kuala Lumpur, where the investigation into the missing airliner is based.
He was speaking after Australia said it had sent aircraft to investigate two objects spotted by satellite floating in the sea.
“As we have been doing from day one, we have been following every single lead, and this time I just hope that it is a positive development,” Hishammuddin said.
“I was told that assets have been deployed to the area to verify what has already been said earlier this morning, and we are waiting for some information. It is too early to say which area and whether it is in the sea,” he said, adding he did not know what kind of possible debris was involved.
“Every lead is a hope. We want to verify, we want to corroborate.”
Investigators hope to provide a further update within a few hours, he said.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said on Thursday that two objects possibly related to the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 have been sighted in the southern Indian Ocean.
Abbott called it “credible information,” adding that after “specialist analysis of this satellite imagery, two possible objects related to the search have been identified,” the Associated Press quoted him as saying.
But Abbott cautioned that locating the objects could be extremely difficult and “it may turn out that they are not related to the search for flight MH370.”
نستخدم ملفات الكوكيز لنسهل عليك استخدام مواقعنا الإلكترونية ونكيف المحتوى والإعلانات وفقا لمتطلباتك واحتياجاتك الخاصة، لتوفير ميزات وسائل التواصل الاجتماعية ولتحليل حركة المرور لدينا...اعرف أكثر