SPORT

Qatar ‘still silent’ on British man’s death while working on World Cup stadium

Briton Zac Cox, age 40, was killed in January when he fell from a high platform at Doha's renovated Khalifa Stadium.

Qatar is still silent months after a British construction was killed while working at Doha's Khalifa Stadium, one of the main venues when the country hosts the FIFA 2022 tournament.

Briton Zac Cox, age 40, was killed in January when he fell from a high platform at Doha's renovated Khalifa Stadium, the Daily Mail reported.

Three other workers died and several were injured at a building site in Qatar, which has come under pressure to improve conditions for laborers working on venues for the 2022 World Cup, state news agency QNA reported last month.

Qatar, which has long been under fire from rights groups for labor abuses and is under pressure from the United Nations to make changes, has said it is working to improve conditions.

Several reports have said at least 1,200 workers have died while working on Qatar’s world cup sites. The International Trade Union Confederation estimates at least 4,000 more workers will die before the start of the tournament in 2022 if Qatar does not change its policy.
 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Monday, 12 June 2017 KSA 03:20 - GMT 00:20
Top
BREAKING NEWS

Send to a friend

Close
Qatar ‘still silent’ on British man’s death while working on World Cup stadium
Friend's name:
Friend's Email:
Sender's name:
Sender's Email:
Captcha Code
How are we doing?
X

How are we doing?

Name Name *
Email Email *
Country Country
Message Message *
Maximum 550 words allowed