SPORT

Victoria Azarenka withdraws from Australian Open

Azarenka plays a backhand return during her women's singles match on day ten of the 2016 Australian Open. (AFP)

Twice champion Victoria Azarenka has withdrawn from this month’s Australian Open as she continues a legal battle over the custody of her son.

The Belarusian had been granted a wildcard for the season-opening grand slam but withdrew on Monday, organizers said.

“It’s unfortunate that @vika7 is unable to travel to Australia this year,” tournament director Craig Tiley said on their Twitter feed. “She’s looking forward to returning to Melbourne next year.

Australia’s Ajla Tomljanovic has instead been awarded the wildcard for the tournament, which runs from Jan. 15-28.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Monday, 8 January 2018 KSA 05:57 - GMT 02:57
Top
BREAKING NEWS

Send to a friend

Close
Victoria Azarenka withdraws from Australian Open
Friend's name:
Friend's Email:
Sender's name:
Sender's Email:
Captcha Code
How are we doing?
X

How are we doing?

Name Name *
Email Email *
Country Country
Message Message *
Maximum 550 words allowed