An al-Qaeda-linked group based in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula claimed responsibility for a failed assassination attempt that targeted the country’s interior minister last week, a statement on militant Islamist forums said.
“God has allowed your brothers in Ansar Beit al-Maqdis [the Sinai-based group] to shatter the security organization of the murderer Mohammed Ibrahim through a martyrdom operation,” the group said in the online statement carried by AFP.
A car bomb ripped through the interior minister’s convoy as he was leaving home for work on Thursday, killing one person.
Ibrahim, who was travelling in an armored car, survived the attempt unhurt.
The militant group apologized in the statement “for not killing the tyrant,” pledging more attacks against Ibrahim and military commander Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.
Egypt’s Brotherhood guide faces new murder charges, judiciary source saysEgypt’s Muslim Brotherhood general guide Mohammad Badie will stand trial in a second case regarding clashes in which several demonstrators were ... Middle East
Egypt appoints Amr Moussa as head of constitutional panelEgyptian former presidential candidate Amr Moussa has been appointed head of the constitution-drafting committee, it was announced on Sunday. The ... Middle East
Egypt prosecutor probes accusations that activists were ‘foreign funded’Egypt’s public prosecutor is looking into legal complaints against some prominent activists, a judicial source at the prosecutor’s office ... Middle East