.
.
.
.

U.N. ‘outrage’ over South Sudan base attack

United Nations Security Council warns attacks on civilians and U.N. peacekeepers may constitute a war crime

Published: Updated:

Following the deaths of dozens of people in an attack on a U.N. base in South Sudan earlier this week, the United Nations Security Council on Friday expressed “outrage” and demanded the war-torn country’s government prevent attacks on its bases and civilians.

Earlier on Friday, the U.N. had said at least 58 people were killed and more than 100 others wounded in an attack against one of its bases in South Sudan sheltering thousands of civilians.

“The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms these acts and underscored that attacks on civilians and U.N. peacekeepers may constitute a war crime,” said a statement that was adopted unanimously by all Security Council members, according to Agence France-Presse.

It added: “The members of the Security Council called on the government of South Sudan to immediately take steps to ensure the safety of all civilians and UNMISS Protection of Civilian sites in South Sudan, to swiftly investigate these incidents, and to bring the perpetrators of these egregious acts to justice.”

The Associated Press reported that an angry mob of South Sudanese youths attacked the base of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) in order to harm members of an ethnic minority sheltering inside.

About 5,000 people were inside the base, in the war-ravaged town of Bor, when gunmen posing as peaceful protestors stormed the facility.

They opened fire on terrified civilians who have sought refuge with the U.N. from a wave of ethnic violence, with the apparent aim of killing as many people as possible.

(With AFP and AP)