Tunisia PM to ring Cameron over call for tourists to leave
The British gvt called on UK tourists to leave Tunisia warning of a "highly likely" terror attack after last month's beach massacre
Tunisian Prime Minister Habib Essid said he would telephone British counterpart David Cameron on Friday to respond to his government’s advice that the North African nation was unsafe for holidays.
The Foreign Office guidance issued on Thursday evening forced British tour operators to halt all holidays to Tunisia in a massive blow to a key sector of its economy.
“We will ring the British prime minister to tell him we have done everything we can to protect all British interests and those of others countries -- that’s out duty,” Essebsi told a late-night session of parliament.
“Britain is free to take whatever decision it likes -- it’s a sovereign country -- but we too are a sovereign country and we have a position to take.”
Essid did not elaborate on what that position might be but he told lawmakers that the British decision would “have repercussions.”
Tunisia has brought in a raft of new security measures, including arming tourist police, since a jihadist gunman killed 38 foreign holidaymakers, 30 of them Britons, at the beach resort of Port El Kantaoui on June 26.
But the Foreign Office said it did not believe they provided “adequate protection” and advised against all but essential travel.
Within minutes of the advice, tour operators Thomson and First Choice said they had cancelled all flights to Tunisia for the rest of the season, until October 31.
Britain’s largest travel association, ABTA, said the 3,000 or so British tourists currently in Tunisia would be flown home as soon as possible.
UK advises British tourists to leave TunisiaThe British Foreign Office urged UK tourists to leave Tunisia warning of terror ... Middle East
Homegrown militants with Libya ties target Tunisia’s democracyThree more Libyan-trained Tunisian militants succeeded in bringing bloodshed to ... Featured Perspectives
Tunisia's state of emergency must respect rights: HRWEight days after the June 26 gun attack, President Beji Caid Essebsi on Saturday ... Africa
After Tunisia attack, sun-seekers switch to Spain, Bulgaria and GreeceNow many tourists who had planned or booked Tunisian trips are looking elsewhere Perspective
Tunisia beach gunman had worked in tourism, says PMThe Tunisian gunman behind the June 26 attack at a resort that killed 38 ... Middle East
Tunisia identifies all 38 victims of beach massacre, 30 BritishOf the remaining victims, three were from Ireland, two from Germany and one each ... Middle East