South Sudan leader signs peace deal amid sanctions threat
South Sudan President Salva Kiir on Wednesday signed a peace deal with rebels, more than 20 months since the start of fighting
South Sudan President Salva Kiir on Wednesday signed a peace deal with rebels, more than 20 months since the start of fighting between the army and rebels led by his former deputy.
Kiir signed the agreement in Juba, South Sudan's capital, in a ceremony witnessed by regional leaders. Kiir said he was signing the document despite having serious reservations.
Kiir’s opponent, former Deputy President Riek Machar, signed the agreement last week in Ethiopia but Kiir refused, saying he needed more time, drawing condemnation from diplomats who want a quick agreement to end the violence in the world’s newest country.
Kiir was under intense pressure to sign the accord mediated by a group of neighboring countries, with the U.S. threatening new U.N. sanctions if he failed to do so.
The agreement binds Kiir into a power-sharing arrangement with Machar, a political rival whose dismissal in July 2013 sparked a political crisis that later boiled over into a violent rebellion. The fighting has often been along ethnic lines, pitting Kiir’s ethnic Dinka people against Machar’s Nuer.
The deal calls for the establishment of a coalition government within 90 days. Previous ceasefires have been quickly broken, however, with both sides accusing the other for truce violations.
Thousands of South Sudanese have been killed in the fighting and more than 1.6 million people have been displaced. Atrocities have occurred in which young girls have been raped and burned alive, said the U.N.
U.N.: China arms firm sold $20m in weapons to S SudanA U.N. panel of experts has stated that a major Chinese state-owned arms supplier sold more than $20 million of weapons to South Sudan Africa
South Sudan president to sign peace dealSouth Sudan’s President Salva Kiir has finally agreed to sign a peace deal and power-sharing accord Africa
South Sudan media switch off for 24-hours over journo’s murderAlfred Taban, the head of the Association for Media Development in South Sudan, said the blackout- from noon Friday to Saturday- should raise awareness Print
South Sudan government denies ‘starvation’ aid blockadeSouth Sudan’s army dismissed rebel claims of a food blockade aimed at starving them into submission ahead of peace talks Africa