Al-Shabaab militants seize two towns in southern Somalia
On Saturday, al Shabaab said it had seized two small towns in the Lower Shabelle region
Islamist militants al Shabaab seized control of two towns over two days in southern Somalia and attacked two African Union (AU) convoys in the same region, a spokesman for the group and a local official said on Saturday.
Both captured towns were on routes towards Indian Ocean ports south of the capital Mogadishu and came after al Shabaab fighters attacked an AU base in the same area on Sept. 1.
Last year, African Union peacekeepers known as AMISOM drove al Shabaab back in the south and seized the port of Barawe in October, a coastal town used by the Islamist militants to bring in arms and fighters from abroad for years.
Al Shabaab lost control of the main southern port of Kismayu and the port of Marka in 2012, so the loss of Barawe was a setback, leaving the group with no access to the sea in the south of Somalia.
On Saturday, al Shabaab said it had seized two small towns in the Lower Shabelle region: El Saliindi, 65 km (40 miles) south of Mogadishu en route to Marka, and Kuntuwarey, on the road between the capital and Barawe.
The al Qaeda-affiliated group, which is seeking to overthrow the Western-backed government and impose its harsh version of Islamic law, attacks the AU-led peacekeeping force and Somali officials regularly.
Ali Nur, the acting governor of Lower Shabelle, confirmed the towns had been captured.
“It is sad to say al Shabaab has taken El Saliindi. AU forces withdrew and al Shabaab now controls it,” said Nur, adding that Kuntuwarey was seized on Friday.
The AU peacekeeping force, known as AMISOM, could not immediately be reached for comment.
Also on Saturday, the militants said they attacked an AU convoy outside Marka, killing several soldiers. But Nur said the death toll had not been determined.
“A roadside bomb targeted an AU vehicle as the AU convoy passed in the outskirts of Marka today. We do not know details about casualties,” said Nur.
Al Shabaab said it hit a second AU convoy with a suicide car bomb near Janale, the site of the attack on the AU base.
“Many soldiers died and several AU vehicles are burning,” Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab, al Shabaab’s military spokesman, told Reuters.
Nur said he was aware of the bombing. He said while AMISOM forces had not been hit, one civilian was killed.
Al Shabaab often exaggerates the success of its attacks and officials play down losses.
On Sept. 1, al Shabaab stormed an AU base in Janale, about 90 km (55 miles) south of Mogadishu, killing at least 12 Ugandan soldiers. Al Shabaab claimed it had killed 70 people in the assault, which came roughly a year after its leader Ahmed Abdi Godane was killed in a U.S. air strike.
African Union troops announce new offensive against ShabaabThe African Union Mission in Somalia said 'Operation Jubba Corridor' was launched on Friday Africa
‘Three al-Shabaab militants killed’ in attack on Somali intelligence baseAl-Shabaab militants launched a major suicide attack against a military intelligence base in the capital Mogadishu Africa
Somali militants claim deadly attack on intelligence compoundFighters from Somalia's al-Shabaab group detonated a car bomb and fought their way into a compound where national intelligence agency officials train Africa
Al Shabaab attacks village in Kenya’s GarisssaThe ministry of interior said on Friday the militants entered Yumbis village, 70 km north of Garissa town and so far no casualties were reported Africa
Al-Shabaab’s ‘White Widow’ commands 200-strong spy squad: reportLewthwaite, who is the widow of one of the London 7/7 al-Shabaab’s spy unit Middle East
Kenyan governors build confidence to secure tipoffs on extremistsAttacks by Somali extremist group al Shabaab in Kenya, including the April 2 Garissa raid that killed 148 people Africa
Al Shabaab militants attack Somali government building, at least 10 deadAl Shabaab Islamist militants attacked a government building housing two ministries in the Somali capital Middle East