Pakistani military officials on Thursday accused Indian troops of opening fire and seriously wounding a male civilian along the heavily militarised Line of Control (LoC) in divided Kashmir.
They reported the incident after India accused Pakistan over the killing of five Indian soldiers overnight Monday, violating a 10-year ceasefire that has held along the de facto border.
The Pakistani officials said that Indian troops opened fire at around 8:30 am (0330 GMT) in the Tatta Pani sector, "seriously" wounding one civilian who was evacuated to a military hospital.
Earlier on Thursday, India's defence minister said specialist Pakistani troops had been involved in Monday's deadly attack on its troops in Kashmir and hinted at stronger military action.
"It is now clear that the specialist troops of Pakistan army were involved in this attack," A. K. Antony told parliament.
The picturesque Himalayan territory of Kashmir is divided between India and Pakistan by the UN-monitored LoC, the de facto border, but is claimed in full by both countries.
Analysts say the attack has complicated efforts to arrange a meeting between India's veteran Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistan's newly elected premier Nawaz Sharif.
"Naturally, this incident will have consequences on our behaviour on the LoC and for our relationship with Pakistan," Antony said.
"Our restraint should not be taken for granted nor the capacity of our armed forces and resolve of the government to afford the sanctity of the LoC ever be doubted."
Pakistan denied any part in Monday's incident, but India has lodged an official protest with Islamabad over what is one of the worst losses of life for Indian troops since the 2003 truce.
Pakistan accuses Indian troops of wounding civilian