Afghan Taliban militants on Monday claimed responsibility for an attack on a U.S. base in eastern Afghanistan near the Pakistani border, according to AFP news agency.
Officials confirmed the attack.
“A group of suicide bombers have attacked a U.S. base in Torkham near the border with Pakistan,” Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor, told AFP.
In a statement sent to the media, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack.
Abdulzai said fighting was ongoing between U.S. and Afghan forces against the militants.
- Taliban kill 15 Afghan police in western province
- The justice bus: mobile court tours Taliban-hit Pakistan
- Islamabad frustrates Karzai’s ‘peace dream’ with Taliban
- Karzai to visit Pakistan in quest for Taliban peace
- Pakistani Taliban sacks commander for welcoming talks offer
- Karzai heads to Pakistan to seek more Taliban prisoner releases
- U.S. imam gets 25 years prison for Taliban support