Image of Asia: Waiting to see pope arrive in the Philippines
In this photo, Filipinos in a crowd at least 20 people deep wait behind a fence for the pope
In this photo by Wally Santana, Filipinos in a crowd at least 20 people deep wait behind a fence for hours for the arrival of Pope Francis in Manila on Thursday.
Tens of thousands of people called his name and snapped pictures from behind barricades guarded by police as the motorcade carrying Francis began rolling along the 11-kilometer (6.8-mile) route from a military airport to the Apostolic Nunciature in Manila, where he will stay. The crowds greeting Francis were ecstatic in the Philippines, where just over 80 percent of its 100 million people are Catholics.
- Pope Francis opts for ‘jeepney’ for Philippines visit
- Philippine traffic officers to wear adult diapers during papal visit
- Pope to meet Muslim, Buddhist leaders in Philippines visit
- Qatar bids to host basketball World Cup
- Philippine capital braces for storm, as Hagupit leaves 21 dead
- Swiss man held by Philippine Islamist group ‘slit throat’ to escape