Suicide attack on Afghanistan funeral kills at least eight
A local official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said at least eight people were left dead in the attack in Mehtarlam
At least eight people were killed Thursday when a suicide bomber detonated himself at a funeral for the victims of a roadside bomb attack in eastern Afghanistan, provincial officials said.
A local official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said at least eight people were left dead in the attack in Mehtarlam, in the eastern Laghman province.
Laghman governor spokesman Sarhadi Zwak placed the death toll at 16, with another 39 wounded.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack but suicide bombings are a hallmark of the Taliban’s war against foreign and Afghan security forces, now in its fourteenth year.
The insurgents are able to mount regular attacks across swathes of the country, particularly southern and eastern provinces.
Thursday’s funeral was being held for a police commander and three other people who were killed in a roadside bomb blast, according to Zwak.
Afghanistan saw a surge in violence last year as international forces wound down their combat mission, which began in 2001. It has now been downgraded to support and training duties to help the Afghan army and police.
About 17,000 foreign soldiers, most of them from the U.S., will remain in Afghanistan as part of the new mission.
But U.S. troop numbers are set to halve within 12 months and fall to almost nothing in two years.
Civilian casualties rose 19 percent from the previous year to a record high in 2014, with nearly 3,200 civilians killed and over 6,400 injured, according to a U.N. report released in December.
Casualties among children had jumped a third and among women by 12 percent by the end of November, in the deadliest year for non-combatants, said the report.
Afghanistan is also grappling with political instability after lawmakers Wednesday rejected most of President Ashraf Ghani’s nominees for the new cabinet, a fresh setback for the newly formed “national unity government.”
Ghani, like his predecessor Hamid Karzai, has also promised to reach out to the Taliban to find a lasting peace for his country, without compromising on fundamental values including women’s rights.
Two Yemenis charged in U.S. court over alleged Al-Qaeda linkThe two Yemenis engaged in attacks against U.S. military forces in Afghanistan in the summer of 2008 Middle East
Pakistan bans Haqqani network after security talks with KerryAmerican officials blame high-profile attacks in Afghanistan on the powerful Haqqani network Asia
Afghanistan investigates rocket strike at weddingAt least 28 people, many of them women and children, were killed when rockets fired by Afghan army soldiers hit a wedding party Asia
Taliban claim NATO ‘defeat’ as Afghan war endsThe Taliban, who ruled Afghanistan from 1996 to 2001, have fought a resilient insurgency against NATO and Afghan forces Middle East
Afghanistan’s female cricket dreams crushedA national women’s cricket team formed in 2010 with some fanfare was quietly dissolved this year amid Taliban threats Sports
Afghanistan’s chaos today could be our problem tomorrowIt may be Afghanistan’s turn today but it may be our turn tomorrow World
Roadside bomb kills seven civilians in AfghanistanNari police chief of Nari: a pickup truck, with women and children onboard, was blown up by a roadside bomb Asia
Skin sin? Tattoos embody ‘social revolution’ in AfghanistanUnder the Taliban's tough 1996-2001 regime, personal fashion statements were outlawed Features
CIA: Targeted killings may backfireA leaked CIA report categorized a government program’s contribution to counterinsurgency success in Afghanistan as ‘limited’ World News