Indonesia identifies convicted militant in Jakarta attacks
Indonesia has identified one of five attackers in the deadly Jakarta violence as a previously-jailed militant
Indonesia has identified one of five attackers in the deadly Jakarta violence as a previously-jailed militant whose picture snapped amid the mayhem went viral in the country as the grim face of extremism.
All five attackers died in the coordinated suicide bombings and shootings in central Jakarta on Thursday, which also killed two civilians, wounded two dozen people, and appeared to confirm rising fears of the ISIS emergence in the world’s most populous Muslim country.
The attack has been claimed by ISIS, which has ruthlessly carved out a self-proclaimed caliphate in Syria and Iraq, and Indonesian police have more specifically blamed a Southeast Asian affiliate of the group known as Katibah Nusantara.
Police say they have identified four of the five attackers, and late on Friday released the first name, a militant named Afif. Many Indonesians go by a single name.
Afif, who also uses the alias Sunakim, had trained in an Islamic paramilitary camp in Indonesia’s semi-autonomous Aceh region in 2010, national police chief Badrodin Haiti told reporters.
He was sentenced to seven years in jail for his involvement in the camp but was released last year, Haiti added. He gave no further details.
Haiti confirmed to reporters that Afif was the attacker in blue jeans, black t-shirt and a black hat pictured preparing to raise his handgun in a photo that rippled across Indonesia’s hyperactive social media universe.
The police chief said Afif has been recruited to ISIS by Indonesian extremist Bahrum Naim, who is believed to be a founding member of Katibah Nusantara and who police say orchestrated Thursday’s attacks from Syria.
Haiti added that Naim himself was arrested in Indonesia in 2010 for illegal possession of ammunition and received a one-year jail term.
“We found ammunitions and we processed him and he received a one-year (sentence). Now he is doing it again,” Haiti said.
Indonesian police launched raids across the country on Friday in the wake of the country’s worst such attack in seven years, saying they suspected a broader extremist network was behind it.
If confirmed to be the work of Katibah Nusantara, which is made up primarily of Malay-speaking Indonesians and Malaysians, it would mark the first violence in Southeast Asia by the group.
Authorities in Southeast Asia countries with significant Muslim populations have repeatedly warned of the potential for their citizens to return from fighting alongside ISIS in the Middle East and carry out violence at home.
Police have said one of the two victims of Indonesia’s worst terror incident in seven years was a local. The other was a dual Algerian-Canadian citizen, Algeria’s government has said.
Skittish Bali tourists avoid top tourist spots after Jakarta attackIndonesia’s President Joko Widodo ordered more police at hotels, airports, shopping malls in the resort island of Bali Travel and Tourism
Police say Jakarta attack funded by ISIS in SyriaPolice said Thursday's attack was funded by ISIS through Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian who is now in Syria fighting for the group Gulf
ISIS claims deadly attacks in JakartaAt least seven people - five attackers and two civilians - were killed in Jakarta Gulf
Malaysia on alert after Jakarta attacksThe U.S. Embassy in Jakarta will stay closed on Friday as a precaution after the ISIS attack Gulf
Israel says badminton player can’t get visa for worldsIndonesia has denies Israeli athletes a visa to participate in the upcoming Badminton World Championships in Jakarta Sports
Indonesia maid who escaped death sentence set to leave SaudiMustikawati is one of 68 Indonesian workers spared a death sentence since 2011 after intervention from Jakarta Middle East
Indonesia detains alleged ISIS recruitersIn a series of raids in and around Jakarta at the weekend, elite anti-terror police rounded up the five men Asia