.
.
.
.

Japanese government spokesman told 19 dead after knife attack

Hatred appears to be what fueled a young Japanese man who went on a stabbing rampage at a facility for the mentally disabled

Published: Updated:

Japan's top government spokesman said on Tuesday he had been told that 19 people were dead after an attack by a knife-wielding man at a facility for the disabled in central Japan.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga also told a news conference that police had not obtained any information to suggest there was a link between the attack and extremism.

Hatred appears to be what fueled a young Japanese man who went on a stabbing rampage at a facility for the mentally disabled where he had been fired. Months earlier, he reportedly gave a letter to Parliament outlining the bloody plan.

When he was done, Satoshi Uematsu, 26, had left dead or injured nearly a third of the almost 150 patients at the facility in a matter of 40 minutes in the early Tuesday attack, the deadliest mass killing in Japan in decades. Twenty-five were wounded, 20 of them seriously.

He drove up in a black car, carrying several knives to the Tsukui Yamayuri-en facility in Sagamihara, 50 kilometers (30 miles) west of Tokyo, according to security camera footage played on TV news programs. He broke in by shattering a window at 2:10 a.m., according to a prefectural health official, and then set about slashing the patients' throats.