Philippines blast leaves 12 dead, 24 wounded in market
It was not immediately clear what caused the explosion in President Duterte’s hometown
A powerful explosion killed 12 people and wounded at least 24 others at a night market late Friday in President Rodrigo Duterte’s hometown in the southern Philippines amid a security alert due to a major offensive against Abu Sayyaf militants in the region, officials said.
Regional military commander Lt. Gen. Rey Leonardo Guerrero said it was not immediately clear what caused the explosion at a massage section of the market, which was cordoned off by police bomb experts and investigators.
Police Chief Superintendent Manuel Gaerlan said witnesses gave contrasting accounts, with some saying that a cooking gas tank exploded while others suggested it may have been some kind of an explosive.
Police set up checkpoints in key roads leading to the city, a regional gateway about 980 kilometers (610 miles) south of Manila.
TV footage showed plastic chairs strewn about at the scene of the blast, where witnesses said the bodies of some of the dead lay scattered a few hours after the explosion. Ambulance vans drove to and from the area following the blast.
Police forces in the capital Manila went on full alert at midnight following the deadly blast.
Duterte, who served as a longtime mayor of Davao before assuming the presidency in June, was in the region but has not issued any statement. His spokesman, Ernesto Abella, urged the public to be vigilant.
“While no one has yet claimed responsibility it is best that the populace refrain from reckless speculation and avoid crowded places,” Abella said. “There is no cause for alarm, but it is wise to be cautious.”
Philippine forces were on alert amid an ongoing military offensive against Abu Sayyaf extremists in southern Sulu province, which intensified last week after the militants beheaded a kidnapped young villager. The militants threatened to launch an unspecified attack after the military said 30 of the gunmen were killed in the weeklong offensive.
Some commanders of the Abu Sayyaf, which is blacklisted by the United States and the Philippines as a terrorist organization for deadly bombings, ransom kidnappings and beheadings, have pledged allegiance to the ISIS. The military, however, says there has been no evidence of a direct collaboration and militant action may have been aimed at bolstering their image after years of combat setbacks.
Philippine troops kill 11 Islamist militantsDozens of Abu Sayyaf rebels were also wounded in the 45-minute gun battle in the ... Gulf
Peace talks between Philippines government, rebelsMaoist rebels have fought successive Philippines administrations for nearly 50 ... News
3 Filipino sympathizers of ISIS killed in PhilippinesTroops seized two rifles and an ISIS-style black flag of the slain militants, who ... Gulf
Philippine president calls off truce after rebel attackRodrigo Duterte flew to Davao del Norte on Friday to attend the slain militiaman’s ... Gulf