WHO warns cholera threatens half of Yemen
The WHO said that cholera threatens half of Yemen’s provinces amid an on-going conflict that has plunged the country into a humanitarian and economic crisis
The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday that cholera threatens half of Yemen’s provinces amid an on-going conflict that has plunged the country into a humanitarian and economic crisis, Al Araniya.Net reported.
According to the WHO, 11 provinces - almost half of the country – are reporting cases of the disease, with most occurring in Taiz and Aden. This is a marked increase to recent reports that the disease had been contained in six provinces.
The organization had said late last month that cases of suspected cholera patients in Yemen rose to about 1410 within three weeks of the announcement of the emergence of the disease in the country - where on-going fighting has affected health facilities and access to clean water supply is difficult to come by for swathes of the population.
The WHO had warned that the scarcity of drinking water contributed to the increased incidence of severe abdominal pain, especially among those who have been displaced from their homes in central Yemen.
Last month, the WHO appealed to the international community to provide urgent support to prevent the spread of cholera in Yemen. It said that the fight against cholera requires the provision of $22.35 million in aid.
Over 7.6 million affected
The WHO stated that more than 7.6 million people living in war-torn Yemen are affected by cholera, and that more than three million displaced people are particularly at risk of being infected.
The health organization pointed out that health conditions of the population worsened as a result of food shortages and the increasing cases of malnutrition and lack of access to adequate health services.
It stressed that without a speedy response to the pandemic, it is likely that cases of cholera will continue to increase, more than 15,200 cases in which patients require care in cholera treatment centers.
This article is available in Arabic at AlArabiya.Net.
Yemen's suspected cholera cases soar to 1,410 in weeks, says WHORapid advance of the disease would add a new dimension to the humanitarian disaster Middle East
Yemen in the time of choleraThe situation in Yemen has been bad in the past but seems to be disastrous today Middle East
Cholera outbreak hits war-torn Yemen: UNICEFWar-torn Yemen is suffering from a cholera outbreak posing a further threat to infants in the impoverished nation Middle East
Hadi: Yemenis do not want peace ‘distorted by lies’Yemen’s President Hadi said that the Yemeni people want a lasting and comprehensive peace plan based on ending the coup by the Houthis Middle East