Judge orders Makkah crane crash defendants to attend session
A Saudi judge says all five defendants must appear before the court or else force will be used
A judge, who is looking into the deadly 2015 crane crash in the Saudi city of Makkah, has ordered all five of the case’s defendants to attend the upcoming session.
Judge Abdulaziz al-Twairqi said if the defendants did not attend, they will be brought to the court by force, according to the Saudi website, Ajel.
The order came after the defendants failed to attend court sessions and were merely represented by their lawyers.
Among those who missed the session is a businessman, who once received a permission from the relevant authorities to travel outside the country for medical treatment, according to the website. The permission stipulated that he must appear again before court.
The upcoming session is scheduled to take its place on Thursday.
A year on, Makkah crane crash trial continuesDefendants are facing 20 charges foremost of which is negligence in the application of safety measures which led to the crash Features
Makkah Crane crash: Consultancy firm issued prior warningThe warning was contained in the company’s report submitted to the Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution which is investigating the case Middle East
‘No foul play seen’ in Makkah crane collapseFourteen people are on trial after a collapsed crane killed and injured hundreds of pilgrims last year Middle East
Saudi finance ministry reveals new information on Makkah crane crashThe ministry said it had stopped making any payments for using the crane, 10 months before its crash Middle East
Saudi Summary Court begins Makkah crane crash trialThe Summary Court began the trial of a Saudi billionaire and 13 other defendants charged with causing the Makkah crane crash Middle East
Makkah crane tragedy trial to start soonInvestigators and the prosecution had completed an eight-month investigation into the case which involved questioning a number of suspects Middle East