UN Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed has met with ambassadors of countries sponsoring the Gulf Initiative to resolve the crisis in Yemen.
During the meeting, they discussed recent developments in Yemen as well as the efforts being made to resume consultations between the concerned parties to stop the ongoing conflict and to reach a political solution for the crisis in accordance with the GCC initiative, the National Dialogue and Security Council Resolution No. 2216.
Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi has also met with UN Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed. During the meeting, they discussed the latest developments in the country. GCC Secretary General Abdullatif bin Rashid Al-Zayani met with UN Ould Cheikh Ahmed.
Al-Sharq Al-Awsat newspaper quoted sources in the office of Ould-Sheikh Ahmed as saying that he has introduced new proposals that included the inclusion of al-Hudaydah situation within the security plan in Yemen as it is one of the most severely affected areas of humanitarian crisis.
He called for intensifying relief assistance to Yemenis. In an interview with the newspaper, the UN envoy mentioned several humanitarian initiatives, which are being worked on “under an expanded framework which the region did not know before,” as he described.
- Yemen’s Hadi discusses resumption of peace talks with UN envoy
- Arab coalition preparing alternatives to Yemen port for urgent aid
- Saudi forces repel Houthi attacks in Najran, near Yemen border
- Houthis ‘kidnap and torture’ 36 civilians on trial in Yemen’s Sanaa
- How I have seen the health system collapsing in Yemen
- Yemen: Saleh exposes the Houthis and plans to retake Sanaa