.
.
.
.

Yemen: Houthis attack on UN envoy convoy an ‘assassination attempt’ of diplomat

Published: Updated:

Yemen’s Foreign Ministry has described the Houthis attack on UN envoy convoy on Monday as “assassination attempt” of the diplomat, Al Arabiya News Channel reported.

Houthi militants fired shots at the UN envoy’s convoy in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, sources told Al Arabiya News Channel.

There are no details if there were any casualties.

Earlier on Monday, UN envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed left to Sanaa to meet with the Houthi militants and discuss the possibility of a ceasefire before the holy month of Ramadan begins and the possibility of resuming consultations next month between the warring parties in Kuwait or Geneva.

Meanwhile, the Houthis launched new campaigns criticizing the UN envoy. Houthi leader Saleh al-Sammad, the chief of the rebels’ political council, slammed the envoy and said he was “not neutral.”

“He does not have any news ideas and the only solutions he has are dictated by the coalition countries,” Sammad added.

Sammad also said that the UN envoy requested to visit Sanaa, adding that the rebels’ government is now looking into this request.

He added that Ould Cheikh Ahmed carries a message from the coalition about handing over the Hudaydah port under “fake pretexts.”