The Saudi Council of Senior Scholars, Saudi Arabia's highest religious body, on Wednesday welcomed Mohammed bin Salman’s appointment as the kingdom’s new Crown Prince.
Former Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef has been relieved from his position after a royal decree was issued by King Salman bin Abdulaziz early on Wednesday morning.
The Saudi Press Agency confirmed that 31 out of 34 members of Saudi Arabia's Allegiance Council chose Mohammed bin Salman as the kingdom's crown prince.
King Salman has called for a public pledging of allegiance to the Crown Prince in Mecca on Wednesday. Mohammed bin Salman was also named deputy prime minister, and maintains his post as minister of defense
- Saudi Arabia restores financial benefits of state employees
- PROFILE: The new Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman
- Saudi stocks surge over 4 pct on appointment of new crown prince
- WATCH: Former Saudi Crown Prince pledges allegiance to Mohammed bin Salman
- PROFILE: New Saudi Interior Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Nayef