US President Donald Trump called on Wednesday the newly appointed Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to congratulate him, Al Arabiya News Channel reported.
“The President and the Crown Prince committed to close cooperation to advance our shared goals of security, stability, and prosperity across the Middle East and beyond,” the White House said in a statement.
It added: “The two leaders discussed the priority of cutting off all support for terrorists and extremists, as well as how to resolve the ongoing dispute with Qatar.”
The two also discussed efforts to achieve a “lasting peace” between the Israelis and the Palestinians.
Deepening “deepen economic cooperation” between the United States and Saudi Arabia was also discussed.
Saudi Arabia has declared Prince Mohammed bin Salman as the kingdom's crown prince while Prince Mohammed bin Nayef has been relieved from his position after a royal decree was issued by King Salman bin Abdulaziz early on Wednesday morning.
The Saudi Press Agency confirmed that 31 out of 34 members of Saudi Arabia's Allegiance Council chose Mohammed bin Salman as the kingdom's crown prince.
The UK also congratulated Saudi Arabia for its new Crown Prince.
An allegiance ceremony is expected to take place in Riyadh Wednesday’s evening.
- Saudi Arabia's senior clerics welcome choice of new crown prince
- Arab rulers congratulate newly-appointed Saudi crown prince
- Council of Pakistani scholars’ welcome Saudi crown prince appointment
- Saudi stocks surge over 4 pct on appointment of new crown prince
- PROFILE: The new Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman