Saudi official: 23,000 accounts created by Qatar to attack Saudi Arabia

Published: Updated:

Saud al-Qahtani, Advisor of the Saudi Royal court and the General Supervisor of the Center for Studies and Information Affairs at minister rank, revealed that a study listed more than 23,000 fake twitter accounts launched by Qatar to attack Saudi Arabia, following the disclosure of hostile schemes by Qatari authorities.

“The results of the study are very important and exciting,” he said.

Qahtani tweeted: “It is interesting to note that the accounts in question use the same terms, one or more times in every six tweets, such as: “pretending to be Saudi”, “how much are you paid”, “you are slaves,” etc.”

“All terms are used to attack the leadership of Saudi Arabia by the so-called Saudi dissidents, which were used in the accounts thatr we examined,” he said.

Al-Qahtani pointed out that the fake accounts also repeat phrases such as: “glory to Tamim,” where 43% of the profile photos have Tamim’s face, and 9% of them have Hamad and Tamim’s picture from Okaz newspaper.

The content analysis conducted by Al-Qahtani for the texts tweeted, highlight many “non-Gulf” words used. Such as (lek Aini) “You have my eyes,” (Jinan) “this is crazy,” (Ghoor) “go away,” etc.

Al-Qahtani said that a specialized team has studied the source of these accounts and the places where they come from, and concluded that 32% comes from Qatar, 28% from Lebanon, 24% from Turkey and 12% from Iraq.

The study revealed links between the fake accounts and accounts that stir public opinion or spread rumors in Saudi Arabia. One of every six tweets, is shared between these accounts suggesting that there is a unified management behind all of them.

The study also confirmed that 94% of the false accounts do not use a real profile picture, and 4% of them utilize stolen images from social media sites, while 2% were not verified.

The study also confirmed that 82% of these accounts use false aliases, and the remaining 18% couldn’t be verified.

The false accounts of the Saudi dissidents abroad were almost completely mobilized to defend the Qatari authority, adding to its lack of credibility.

The researchers also analyzed the continuous reference to Prince Mohammed bin Nayef. The results revealed that 86% of the accounts attributed contentious words to the prince in order to create a divide among the citizens.

This article is also available in Arabic.