Civil society organizations and human rights and legal organizations in Yemen fact-checked recent allegations about the existence of secret prisons and torture centers in Hadramawt and concluded that they do not exist.
A committee that includes members from six organizations visited the suspected sites and met with military commanders in Hadramawt to get to the bottom of the allegations. The sites referred to turned out to be military posts working to combat terrorism.
The committee said it visited the presidential palace areas and al-Rabwa, al-Dabba and al-Rayyan in Mukalla and Ash Shihr districts in Hadramawt and met with a number of military and security officials.
It added that terror suspects are mainly held in al-Rayyan detention center as around 175 suspects are held there.
It also said that all those detained in the aforementioned sites are charged with terrorism offenses, adding that Yemeni officers are interrogating them.
The committee added that the presence of representatives of the coalition to support legitimacy in Yemen is limited to providing support to fight terrorism.
- Meet the Qatari finance engineer for terrorists in Yemen
- Coalition destroys weapons shipment to militias on Yemen Island
- Media under attack in Houthis’ Yemen: 21 journalists dead, 18 missing
- Cholera in Yemen: A new Houthi weapon killing thousands
- Two suspected al-Qaeda militants killed in Yemen drone strike