A Saudi student was among two killed in Portland last week in a fire that turned out to be an act of arson, KOIN 6 news reported.
The fire was allegedly started by a man named Ryan Monaco who now faces charges of murder and arson.
Taher al-Haji and another victim identified as Jason Miller were roommates of Monaco’s on-and-off girlfriend. According to the girlfriend, she and Monaco had an argument and after she left the house, he called her to tell her he soaked her couch with gasoline – which according to the report, he admitted while being interrogated.
Taher’s father, Ali, told Al-Arabiya.net that he headed to the US to finish the procedure to transfer his son’s body to Saudi Arabia, adding however that some restrictions have prevented him from transferring the body.
The Saudi embassy in the US has also intervened and formed a legal team to defend Haji in court.
- Saudi university students name streets after influential, inspiring women
- Saudi aviation student killed in US plane crash
- Falling exchange rate irks Saudi scholarship students in UK
- Saudi student praised as 'hero' for saving American child from choking
- Saudi student dies after being run over in Portland