Around 800 Hajj pilgrims left Iran’s Bandar Abbas airport on three flights to the holy city of Madinah on Sunday.
They are the first batch from around 86,000 Iranians expected to attend the Hajj this year after Tehran boycotted the pilgrimage last year amid tensions with Saudi Arabia.
Al Arabiya interviewed some pilgrims upon their arrival to the Prince Mohammad bin Abdulaziz International Airport.
“Iranians love the holy sites of Madinah and Mecca … we were welcomed by Saudi airport officials in a good way,” on pilgrim said.
Another said: “It was a smooth journey to reach Madinah airport; we were not delayed even by a minute.”
Around 800 coordinators have traveled to Saudi Arabia to help Iranians during the pilgrimage, he said.
Iran boycotted the Hajj last year following a diplomatic rift between the two countries.