Qatar has officially accused the UAE of being behind the alleged hacking of its state news agency in May, saying its ally, Turkey, has arrested five people linked to the “online attack.”
Qatar's public prosecutor, Ali bin Fattais al-Marri, said Friday that an internal and international investigation was underway and asked Doha’s allies to cooperate in this issue, including Turkey.
The Qatari prosecutor announced that the Turkish authorities have begun interrogating the five detainees, and that the results of the investigation will be announced once it is completed.
The interior ministry said last month that an inquiry into the incident revealed that two IP addresses in the UAE had been used to carry out the operation.
The ministry added that the technical evidence of the crime was referred to the Attorney General, who initiated proceedings to punish the infiltrators.
Accusations against the UAE had preceded the interior ministry's inquiry. The Washington Post had previously quoted US intelligence officials as saying that the UAE had orchestrated what it described as “infiltration.”
Abu Dhabi officials have denied involvement in the alleged hacking.