The Saudi National Day is celebrated on September 23 every year to commemorate the establishment of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Here are some facts about the country:
• Saudi Arabia has 83,000 square miles in area, which makes it the 13th largest country in the world.
• It is the largest country in the world without river.
• Riyadh has the world’s biggest camel market and it sells about 100 camels per day.
• Saudi Arabia will have the World’s Tallest Building in 2018 called the Kingdom Tower, which is 3,280 ft.
• It has two of the biggest mosques in Makkah and Madinah, which is visited by millions throughout the year.
• One of the ancient cities ‘Mada’in Saleh’ is located in Saudi Arabia. It has been designated as world heritage site by the UN.
• Saudi Arabia desalinates (takes out salt from seawater to make it usable) more seawater than any other country.
• Saudi Arabia has more oil than any other country in the world.
• Rub-Al Khali is the largest continuous sand desert in the world covering some 650,000 square kilometers and parts of Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE and Yemen.
This article was first published in the Saudi Gazette on September 22, 2017.