A Houthi official identified as Mohammed Hussein Karat was stabbed by his wife to death in the town of Mahdar in the Dhamar governorate, south of the capital Sanaa.
Local residents of Mahdar said Karat was responsible for recruiting fighters, both men and children. Karat was allegedly given 10,000 riyals for each fighter he recruits.
According to their account, Karat’s wife killed her husband by stabbing him around 10 times and then wrapped the body with layers of clothes and hired a bus to go to her parents. She got off the bus before arriving to her parents’ house and buried her husband in a small hole which shepherds eventually found on Saturday.
Houthi militias tried to hide news of his death but activists in the town reported his death on social media networks and posted a picture of his body as they got it out of the hole.
The motives behind the crime remain unclear.
A local source said that Houthi militias arrested Karat’s wife after they found the body and after the bus driver who transported her to her parents’ house gave in his statement.
- Houthi cleric says internet is ‘haram’, prompting crackdown on Wi-Fi routers
- Houthi militias using ‘death stones’ as latest trick in Yemen’s urban warfare
- Yemeni official dies of torture-related injuries sustained in Houthi prison
- Saudi Arabia: Houthi missile intercepted and launch pad destroyed in Yemen
- Houthi rockets fired from Yemen land on Saudi mountain village