The Iraqi Defense Ministry said that Army Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Othman Al-Ghanmi headed a high-level military delegation on Monday for a two-day official visit to Saudi Arabia at the invitation of his Saudi counterpart General Abdul Rahman Al-Bunyan, Chief of Staff of the Saudi Armed Forces.
The visit was the first of its kind in decades for a senior Iraqi military official, according to Alsharq Alawsaat newpaper.
The visit aimed to “discuss important issues through cooperation and coordination in combating terrorism and opening border crossings,” the statement said, adding that the visit “is an important step to enhance relations between the two countries and exchange intelligence, and discuss regional issues”.
- Saudi Charge d’Affaires reiterates support for rebuilding Iraq
- Saudi Arabia to launch joint trade council with Iraq
- Saudi Crown Prince affirms strong ties with Iraq in all fields
- Saudi Arabia and Iraq announce agreement to exchange intelligence
- Saudi’s Falih travels to Iraq to win support for OPEC oil output cuts