Philippine officials are headed to Kuwait on Thursday to seek greater protection for migrant workers after a diplomatic row over the alleged mistreatment of Filipinos in the Gulf state.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello told reporters Wednesday one of his deputies would lead the delegation, which is also due to stop in Saudi Arabia and Qatar to urge reforms.
Topping the list are demands that Filipino workers be allowed to keep their cellphones and passports, which can be confiscated by employers.
The trip comes after Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte last week announced a departure ban for Filipinos planning to work in Kuwait.
He was responding to the murder of a Filipina maid whose body was found stuffed in a freezer in Kuwait this month.
Duterte's ban sparked a diplomatic flap between the Philippines and the Gulf state as he alleged that Arab employers routinely raped their Filipina workers, forced them to work 21 hours a day and fed them scraps.
Kuwait has invited Duterte for a visit but he has yet to respond.
Authorities say some 252,000 Filipinos work in Kuwait, many as maids. They are among over two million employed in the region, whose remittances are a lifeline to the Philippine economy.
"We are going to Kuwait tomorrow, Saudi Arabia and then on to Qatar to ensure that our overseas Filipino workers have sufficient protection," said Labor Undersecretary Ciriaco Lagunzad, who will helm the delegation.
"We are afraid that because of the decision of the president to have a deployment ban, our overseas Filipino workers in Kuwait might be affected," he added.
Lagunzad said Duterte had ordered the team to ensure that the passports of Filipino workers are deposited with the Philippine embassy.
Duterte also wanted Filipinos to have access to cellphones so they can call for help in case of abuse, Lagunzad said.
About 10 million Filipinos work abroad and their treatment abroad is often a political issue at home.
Another team of labor officials said on Wednesday they would conduct negotiations with Kuwait next week on a deal to protect Filipino workers.
"Hopefully we can finalize the memorandum of agreement and by first or second week of March, we will have the signing by the Kuwaiti and Philippine governments," said Claro Arellano, another labor undersecretary.
Kuwait invites Philippine president to visit amid workers rowKuwait has invited Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte to visit, state news agency KUNA said on Monday, as the countries seek to settle their ... Gulf
Philippines says more than 2,200 citizens in Kuwait want to go homeMore than 2,200 Filipinos are ready to take up President Rodrigo Duterte’s offer to repatriate workers from Kuwait due to reports of abuse, the ... Gulf
Philippines to attempt bringing Filipinos home after Kuwait deathsThe Philippines will ask its private airlines to evacuate its nationals from Kuwait within 72 hours after the discovery of a Filipino migrant worker ... World News
‘Drunken, unruly passenger’ flying from Dubai-Manila barred from PhilippinesDuring a Manila-bound flight from Dubai on Saturday, an Indian passenger was detained and banned from entering the Philippines after he ... Gulf