Saudi Arabia: Nine suspects confess to ‘links with hostile elements abroad’
Saudi Arabia’s Public Prosecution said on Saturday that nine detainees had confessed to having contacts with hostile elements after monitoring their "coordinated activity to undermine the security and stability of the Kingdom, its social peace and national unity," according to a statement.
Seventeen individuals had been arrested in this case and temporary release orders were issued for eight suspects, five women and three men, until the completion of their procedural review.
The nine individuals, five men and four women, were still under arrest due to sufficient evidence against them, as well as, their confession to the charges, which require their continued detention.
The Public Prosecutor's Office said that after questioning and presenting them with the evidence available against them, the accused admitted that they had:
1. Communicated and cooperated with individuals and organizations hostile to the Kingdom;
2 - Recruited persons in a sensitive government entity to obtain confidential information and official documents to harm the higher interests of the Kingdom;
3. Provided financial and moral support to hostile elements abroad.
A Saudi Press Agency statement read:
"While the Public Prosecution is committed to complete the investigation procedures in a manner that achieves justice without undermining the security and safety of the country, its regulations and interests; the Public Prosecution is also committed to continue due process of the accused in a manner that ensures their dignity, guarantees their rights, provides access to their families and prepares appropriate places for their detention and provides them with the necessary health and social care, as stipulated in Article (26) of the Basic Law of Governance and Article (36/1) of the Code of Criminal Procedure, which ensures all guarantees and fundamental rights are provided to all accused in such cases."