Bahrain’s interior ministry has revealed that it detected deliberate systematic attempts to target the kingdom in order to harm its public interests and to influence public opinion through several issues, including the naturalization issue, with the aim of harming the special Bahraini-Saudi relations.
In a statement released on Saturday, the ministry said that false information had been circulating through fake accounts run from Qatar and by the wanted fugitives facing justice.
“The Ministry of Interior clarifies that such accounts tend to instigate disturbances and sedition and incite hatred, in an attempt to tear into Bahrain’s social fabric and jeopardize the upcoming parliamentary elections by negatively focusing on a number of issues, including the new pension scheme, to negatively swing the public opinion and distort the Bahraini identity to project it as having negative characteristics,” the statement read.
"In general, these threats constitute a purposeful assault against the citizens although they are immune to the risks such attempts pose and have proven through history their firm stand on national values thanks to their awareness and sincere determination to foil all attempts targeting security and social peace,” the ministry added.
The interior ministry said it is calling upon the public “to be cautious and avoid recirculating false reports, as the current stage requires joint efforts, unity, an awareness to protect the nation’s supreme interests, and civil peace as the strengthening of national unity is the responsibility of all”.
Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates along with Egypt, announced on June 5, 2017, that they were severing of relations with Qatar because of the latter’s support and sponsor of terror groups and terror financing.