Saudi Arabia’s embassy in the US said that they have appointed a lawyer for the Saudi student who was assaulted by an ‘Arab gang’ in Washington, adding that according to the US’s judicial system, the general prosecutor has to be the one who presents the case against the aggressors.
In a press release, the embassy said that the lawyer will be following up on the case with the general prosecutor, and ensuring that proper protocol is taken in the case. They added that an envoy from the embassy visited Majid al-Muzaini in hospital as soon as the news broke out that he was assaulted.
The embassy also said that they are doing what they can to facilitate all the processes relating to his medical treatment, as well as his friend who was also attacked.
Muzaini’s family said that he suffered from internal bleeding following a violent attack that left his skull broken and put him into a coma.
Muzaini’s friend also suffered fractures and bruises during the assault.
In their press release, the embassy said that a preliminary trial date was set on August 13 to present the charges against the perpetrators who had already been arrested and questioned after the incident.
Muzini’s wife who is currently by his side at the George Washington Hospital said that the perpetrators came in a car and intercepted her husband who was on his way home from a cafe. According to his family, the assault was a result of a heated debate over the World Cup.
The embassy added that the kingdom is keen on ensuring the safety of all its citizens and providing them with whatever is necessary through its consulates and the embassy where citizens can also call an emergency number that is available 24 hours a day.