A Nepalese laborer who died working at a World Cup stadium in Qatar fell from a scaffold to his death, one of the main contractors at the site said.
The 23-year-old scaffolder died on August 14 at the $680 million Al Wakrah stadium, one of the proposed venues for the controversial 2022 tournament.
"We can confirm this worker lost his life. He was performing access platform related work for one of the sub-contractors on site," said a spokeswoman for Belgian construction giant Besix, one of Al Wakrah's main contractors.
Asked if that meant he had fallen to his death, the spokeswoman replied: "Yes".
This has been independently confirmed by three other sources.
Besix, which operates in the Gulf through its subsidiary, Six Construct, works as part of a joint venture at Al Wakrah with Qatari company Midmac and Austrian firm Porr.
Qatar's World Cup organising body, the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, is carrying out an ongoing investigation into the death.
A committee spokesman told AFP the worker's body had been repatriated and that an "end of service payment had been made in a timely and respectful manner" to the worker's family.
Al Wakrah, located around 20 kilometers south of the capital Doha, is one of eight stadiums proposed for the Qatar World Cup.
The incident is believed to be the first reported death at a tournament venue since British construction worker Zac Cox plunged to his death at the refurbished Khalifa International Stadium in January 2017.
Another Nepalese laborer, 29-year-old Anil Kumar Pasman, died at Al Wakrah after being struck by a lorry in October 2016.