Yemen FM: Decision to participate in Geneva talks will be taken in few hours
Yemeni Minister of Foreign Affairs, Khaled al-Yamani said on Thursday that the decision to attend Geneva talks or whether to withdraw from it, will be taken in the coming few hours.
He pointed out that differences among the Houthi militia’s leaders were the reason for the delegation’s pullout, adding that the Yemeni legitimate government will not wait forever for the Houthis to make up their mind whether or not they will attend the talks, which is sponsored by the United Nations.
Earlier on Thursday, the United Nations envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths met with the Government of Yemeni delegation, headed by al-Yamani.
They discussed the expectations from these consultations and relevant issues regarding the peace process, in particular, the confidence building measures.
Griffiths thanked the Yemeni Government for their positive engagement with his efforts to relaunch the peace process. He acknowledged the efforts made by the Government of Yemen and the Coalition to facilitate the convening of these consultations.
The UN envoy reiterated the need to reach an inclusive political solution to the conflict in Yemen. Yemeni people who live under dire humanitarian, economic and security conditions hope for a quick settlement of the conflict, he said.
Earlier, the spokesman for the Coalition forces, Colonel Turki al-Malki, said that the Houthis are not taking their participation in the Geneva talks seriously. Read more