In the latest development related to the Geneva talks sponsored by the United Nations on the Yemeni crisis, UN special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths is expected to issue a statement on the fate of the Geneva talks in the absence of the Houthi delegation, according to western sources.
Earlier on Friday, Griffiths said that he will continue his negotiations with the delegation representing the Yemeni legitimate government and other diplomats in Geneva, while working on bringing the Houthi delegation to Geneva. Full story
In a press conference, Griffiths’ spokeswoman Alessandra Vellucci, said that the UN special envoy to Yemen, started his negotiations with the Yemeni government delegation in Geneva on Thursday evening, and that he is still waiting for the Houthi delegation to arrive from Sanaa.
Meanwhile, Al Arabiya news channel correspondent reported that the delegation representing the Yemeni legitimate government will stay in the Swiss city, regardless if the delegation representing the Houthi militias arrives there to take part in the negotiations.
The Geneva talks were supposed to be held on Friday, but the Houthi delegation was presenting vague arguments to disrupt and thwart the UN sponsored talks according to Yemeni sources. Read more
Meanwhile, the Houthi delegation on Friday evening rejected an offer to transport them by an Omani plane to Geneva after the aircraft was searched by the coalition backing the Yemeni legitimate government, according to Western sources.
For his part, the United States ambassador to Yemen said on Friday, that Geneva talks will resume within two weeks, if it does not start tomorrow.