Turkey’s justice minister calls on public to ‘ignore leaks’ in Khashoggi case
Turkish Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gül called on the public to ignore any leaked information in the case of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Several news outlets have released reports quoting anonymous official sources who claim to have found breaking evidence in the case, however, no concrete evidence has surfaced indicating any information about who is behind Khashoggi’s disappearance.
This includes false stories about a group of 15 Saudi tourists who were accused of being government agents sent to kill Khashoggi, and stories about how his Apple watch revealed “recordings” indicating that he was tortured and killed. Both claims were falsified with a series of evidence and analyses.
Saudi ambassador to the US Prince Khalid bin Salman had responded to what he termed as the “grim and malicious” rumors over the investigation surrounding the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi. He stated that reports stating that the journalist was killed in the consulate are baseless, and that Khashoggi was a friend of his, and they had maintained contact when he was in Washington.
Former National Security Adviser of US President George Bush, Frances Townsend, also tweeted on Thursday that Turkey should officially disclose of any evidence, or put an end to “leaks, innuendos & rumors.”
#Turkey needs to officially spell out the evidence or stop the leaks, innuendo & rumor. Worth remembering that the only FACTS so far: #Khashoggi went into #Saudi consulate & is now missing. https://t.co/abtUiVvblN— Frances Townsend (@FranTownsend) October 10, 2018
“Turkey needs to officially spell out the evidence or stop the leaks, innuendo & rumor. Worth remembering that the only FACTS so far: Khashoggi went into Saudi consulate & is now missing,” Townsend said.
Townsend was responding to Shashank Joshi, who is the defense editor at The Economist, who said that Turkey’s public statements, which many news outlets use as truth without corroborating the information, on the case were incompatible and contradictory.
“Turkey can't simultaneously have video of alleged killing (as per Ozturk in NYT), know which room it occurred in (as per MEE), and still maintain suspicion he remains alive (as per WSJ, below). Some of this is evidently nonsense,” he said.
Meanwhile, Turkish academic and columnist, Emre Uslu, presented on his Twitter account on Wednesday, evidence that contradicts the widespread scenarios surrounding the disappearance of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi.
In a thread of tweets, Uslu said that he was trying to “highlight the major problems” in the Turkish police’s investigation, adding that he does not support any theory relating to the 15 Saudi tourists accused of having a hand in Khashoggi’s disappearance.
Uslu cites the findings of the Turkish police, pointing out what they missed to provide.
Jamal Khashoggi disappeared since he left the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2. His family has confirmed that they are working with the Saudi government, reaffirming their trust in the government’s investigation.