Griffiths: Progress made in implementing Stockholm Accord despite difficulties
UN Envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths briefed the UN Security Council on Wednesday, declaring that both parties to the conflict are renewed their commitments to the Stockholm Accord, pointing out that progress has been made in implementing the agreement, despite difficulties faced.
Griffiths said the two sides have largely adhered to the ceasefire in Hodeidah, saying: “We urge the parties to continue to work in good faith with the UN team in Hodeidah.”
He also pointed out that parties must work to implement what was agreed on Taiz and prisoners, stressing: “We need to achieve a lot before the next round of consultations.”
“I am working with the parties to make sure that the next consultations are held as soon as possible,” he added.
Meanwhile, UN Humanitarian Coordinator Mark Lowcock said civilians in Hodeidah were safer after the ceasefire agreement, stressing that international law must be respected throughout Yemen and at all times.
Lowcock warned that 10 million Yemenis are on the verge of famine and that half of the health facilities have been stopped, stressing: “We are working to adopt steps to improve the mechanisms of distribution of aid in Yemen”.
“The Houthis have hindered the arrival of humanitarian aid to areas of legitimate control, and we seek to protect and assist victims of physical violence in Yemen,” he added.
“There is a 25 percent increase in child recruitment in Yemen last year,” he said, noting that “political progress in Yemen does not dispense with humanitarian assistance to Yemenis”.
Lowcock went on to add that Saudi and Yemeni support for the Yemeni riyal has helped boost the economy in recent weeks.