Turkey’s secret military agreement with Qatar is full of loopholes and vague terms that appear to have been deliberately inserted, revealed the Nordic Monitor, a Sweden-based monitoring site.
As per the agreement, Turkey deployed thousands of troops to Qatar, while a clause in the agreement states that Qatar cannot prosecute any Turkish soldier on its land in case of any legal violations.
This clause constitutes a clear violation of Qatar’s sovereignty. It also recalls the period of foreign colonization of the Arab region when foreign soldiers were protected by their countries on the lands of the colonies they occupy and cannot be prosecuted by local authorities for crimes and offenses committed by them.
The 16-page secret military agreement, signed and sealed by the authorities of the two countries, was published by the Nordic Monitor which is based in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Is Turkey preparing to replace US military base in Qatar?
- Turkey: Military base in Qatar aimed at GCC security, not any specific country
- Qatar, Turkey performed power plays to damage Saudi Arabia: US expert
- Fahad al-Thani: Qatar relies on Qaradawi, Brotherhood to instigate crisis
- Saudi prominent author: Brotherhood hijacked Qatar, Kingdom reborn