One of two Saudi victims of NZ terror attack succumbs to injuries

Published: Updated:
Enable Read mode
100% Font Size

One of two Saudi victims of terror attacks in New Zealand on Friday has died, his family confirmed to Al Arabiya.

With his death, the toll in New Zealand has risen to 50.

The second injured Saudi citizen, 19-year-old Aseel Ansari has narrated on how he managed to escape from the carnage in Christchurch.

The gunman saw Ansari and began shooting in his direction and hit him in the knee, but he “managed to jump to a house next to the mosque.”

Earlier, the embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in New Zealand had issued statements confirming that the two citizens were being treated at a hospital for their wounds.

The embassy called on all its citizens in Christchurch to follow instructions issued by local authorities to stay indoors until further notice.

The Saudi embassy said in a statement on Twitter: “The Embassy expresses its regret and sorrow at the painful terrorist attack that took place today in Christchurch and offers sincere condolences to the deceased and wishes for the speedy recovery of the injured.”

The embassy added that embassy staff was assigned to visit the Saudi wounded in the hospital and help them psychologically and to take care of their condition. “The embassy is in constant contact with the New Zealand authorities to find out the latest developments regarding their condition.”

READ ALSO: Australia PM: New Zealand mosque gunman was Australian right-wing ‘terrorist’

After it was earlier reported that a gunman opened fire at a mosque killing many worshippers and forcing the city of Christchurch into lockdown, New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said, “It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack.”

“From what we know, it does appear to have been well planned.” Two explosive devices attached to suspect vehicles have now been found and they have been disarmed,” she added.

New Zealand media earlier reported that between nine and 27 people were killed, but the death toll could not be confirmed. Police said multiple fatalities had occurred at two mosques, but it was unclear how many attackers were involved.

Top Content Trending