Saudi Arabia not looking for war but will respond to any threat: Adel al-Jubeir
Saudi Arabia wants to avert war in the region but stands ready to respond with "all strength and determination" following last week's attacks on Saudi oil assets, the Kingdom's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir said in a press conference on Sunday.
“Iran has threatened the world’s economic interest through threatening to close the maritime routes, and has conducted terrorist operations in Saudi and the region,” he said.
Al-Jubeir accused Iran of seeking to destabilize the region and urged the international community to take responsibility to stop the Islamic republic from doing so.
“We will issue a statement on the attack near the UAE coast,” he said. “The GCC countries are working with the US to ensure the security of the region.”
Al-Jubeir said that the world “perceives the IRGC as a terrorist organization.”
"The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia does not want a war in the region nor does it seek that," al-Jubeir told a news conference.
"It will do what it can to prevent this war and at the same time it reaffirms that in the event the other side chooses war, the kingdom will respond with all force and determination, and it will defend itself and its interests."
Riyadh has accused Tehran of ordering Tuesday's drone strikes on two oil pumping stations in the Kingdom, claimed by Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi militias. The attack came two days after four vessels, including two Saudi oil tankers, were sabotaged off the coast of the United Arab Emirates.
Iran has denied it was behind the attacks which come as Washington and the Islamic Republic spar over sanctions and the US military presence in the region, raising concerns about a potential US-Iran conflict.