Britain is working on the basis that Iran is responsible for attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday, and warned Iran that these actions were “deeply unwise,” Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said.
“This is deeply worrying and comes at a time of already huge tension. I have been in contact with (US Secretary of State Mike) Pompeo and, while we will be making our own assessment soberly and carefully, our starting point is obviously to believe our US allies,” Hunt said in a statement.
“We are taking this extremely seriously and my message to Iran is that if they have been involved it is a deeply unwise escalation which poses a real danger to the prospects of peace and stability in the region,” he added.
Pompeo told reporters earlier on Thursday that the US government believed Iran was to blame, based on the weapons used, the level of expertise needed to execute the operation, and other factors.
US destroyer USS Mason en route to the scene of attacks in GulfThe United States has no interest in engaging in a new conflict in the Middle East but will defend American interests including freedom of navigation, ... Gulf
UAE’s Anwar Gargash says attacks on oil tankers are a ‘dangerous escalation’UAE’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash expressed concern about the attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman and the ... Gulf
Saudi Arabia agrees Iran was behind tanker attacks, says Adel al-JubeirSaudi Arabia agrees with the United States that Iran was behind the suspected attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, Saudi Minister of State ... Gulf
Saudi Arabia says it will protect ports, regional waters after tanker attacksSaudi Arabia’s energy minister Khalid al-Falih condemned on Thursday the attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, saying Riyadh would ... Gulf