Iraq handed over on Thursday the remains of 48 Kuwaiti citizens who disappeared during the 1991 Gulf War when dictator Saddam Hussein sent his troops into Kuwait and was forced out by a US-led coalition. The handing over of remains, which were put in caskets wrapped in Kuwaiti flags, is the first since the toppling of Saddam Hussein in a US-led invasion in 2003.
Kuwait says around 605 people, mostly Kuwaiti, went missing during the seven-month occupation and ensuing war.
Iraqi military officials said the remains were found in a mass grave, in the desert about 170 km (106 miles) west of the city of Samawa in March.
Tests have been performed and results confirm the remains’ identity, said Iraqi military and health officials attending the ceremony.
“Iraq’s government is determined to keep searching for the remaining missing bodies of the Kuwaiti citizens and return them back to their families,” said army Major General Hazim Qasim.
Diplomatic ties between the two neighbors were cut after the invasion, which was ended by the 1991 Gulf War, but restored after Saddam’s removal from power in 2003.
Iran starts Gulf war games, to test submarine-launched missilesIran on Friday began large-scale naval drills at the mouth of the Gulf, which will feature its first submarine cruise missile launches, state media ... Middle East
Iraq resumes payments of Gulf War reparations to KuwaitIraq resumed paying Kuwait compensation on Friday for the destruction of Kuwaiti oil fields and facilities during the 1990-91 Gulf War, the United ... Middle East
‘Swarm of Doves’: Kuwait’s first film on Gulf war to make local debutKuwaiti cinemas launched public screenings of "Swarm of Doves" last week, the Gulf state's first feature-length film about the 1990 invasion ... Entertainment
This video remains to be one of the strangest to come out of the Gulf warShocking footage of a soldier being sucked into an engine of a US fighter in 1991 has surfaced. The grainy footage shows 21-year-old trainee, John ... Variety