Kuwait’s 90-year-old ruler will return home on Wednesday from the United States where he had been admitted to hospital, causing him to postpone a meeting with US President Donald Trump, state news agency KUNA said on Tuesday.
Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah has ruled the US ally and OPEC oil producer since 2006 and steered its foreign policy for more than 50 years.
The emir’s office in August said that Sheikh Sabah had suffered a health setback while in Kuwait without providing details.
He then travelled to the United States for the Trump meeting which was cancelled when he was admitted to hospital.
On September 13, KUNA said that Kuwait’s ruler left a hospital in the United States after successfully completing medical tests.
Kuwait defense minister: All military units must be ready in light of tensionsAll military units in Kuwait must maintain their readiness in light of ongoing regional tensions, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Sheikh ... Gulf
Kuwait ‘strongly condemns’ Saudi oil attacks during UN Security Council speechKuwait on Tuesday strongly condemned the attacks on two Saudi Aramco oil facilities in Saudi Arabia last Saturday during a speech by its ambassador to ... Gulf
Kuwait’s ruler in US hospital for tests, postpones Trump meetingKuwait’s ruling emir has been admitted to hospital in the United States for medical tests and has postponed a meeting with US President Donald ... Gulf
Kuwait’s ruler holds first public meetings after health issuesKuwait’s 90-year-old emir on Monday held his first public meetings since falling ill last week, sitting down with the crown prince, head of ... Gulf